The 2018 Flu vaccines have now arrived! Book now with MedPro to ensure you are protected against the nasty Flu viruses that have been circulating!
This year’s Flu vaccine contains 4 strains included based on recommendations made by the World Health Organisation.
The strains covered in the 2018 vaccine are:
an A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus
an A/Singapore/INFIMH-16-0019/2016 (H3N2)-like virus
a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus
The AH3N2 strain (the so called "Aussie Flu") has been rife across the UK and other countriesin Europe, with a high death rate. The good news is that is covered by the 2018 quadrivalent fluvaccine.
Studies show that the impact of the Flu hitting a workforce has real and significant costs:
- Interrupted customer service
- Lost sales
- Missed deadlines
- Temporary staff hire costs
- Reduced work output when staff stay at work sick
The Flu vaccination is one of the most effective ways a business can help protect itself from the costs of winter staff illness. International studies have shown the costsavings of a workplace vaccination programme have been calculated to be a $3 - $5 return for every $1 spent on Flu vaccinations.
Some points worth noting:
- Being fit and healthy does not stop you from catching the Flu - it is easily spread and anyone can catch it.
- 20% of people catch the Flu each year, and a number of those still turn up to work, often unaware they have caught the virus.
- A person who goes to work with the Flu or any other communicable disease is a hazard in the workplace under the NZ Health and Safety at Work Act (2015).
- The Flu virus changes each year so annual immunisation is required.
Vaccination is the best protection against the Flu and reducing its impact. The Flu spreads easily and can sweep through businesses. 3 out of 4 people don't even know they have the Flu, but can still pass it on, and potentially make others very sick.
Remember vaccinationprotects not only the person vaccinated, but the people around them who may bemore vulnerable. The elderly, children, pregnant women, and people with lowimmunity are at high risk of dying from the Flu.
Don't let the flu get you!